Thousands of SPIFR trips are completed safely every day. However, would I fly SPIFR right now?
Sure, I am instrument rated and have just a few hours in the air by this point. However, besides the fact that I need to get instrument current, I would not fly SPIFR at the moment.
I only have .2 hours of actual instrument time and have only flown a hand full of IFR cross country flights. I simply do not believe I have enough instrument experience to execute a completely safe IFR flight. I feel as if I need a co pilot at my side to help with the workload and be there in case I make a mistake. Without that co pilot there, I would be free to make mistakes without realizing it. I just would not feel safe doing that.
The main thing I took from the article is that an IFR flight comes with a much larger workload than a VFR flight. There is the departure procedure, en route procedures, approaches, briefings, more charts, more regulations, more everything. At the moment, it would be too much for me to handle. I want to wait until I have more than .2 actual and just a few IFR flights. Once I increase my experience in instrument flying, I might be more comfortable actually executing a SPIRF flight.
I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to actual... I thnk I only have 0.2 also and definitely wouldn't be comfortable flying SPIFR at this time.
ReplyDelete