Yeah, I hope that never happens to me, but I know I must be prepared because it can really happen to anyone at any time. There is just as much chance of it happening to me as any other pilot.
First of all, a short circuit means that electricity is flowing along a different path than the one intended. Electricity is always trying to find the easiest path back to its source, even if that means flowing along a damaged wire or straight to a ground source such as the aircraft itself. Huge amounts of current flow along the wire, thus damaging it an deeming the aircraft unairworthy.
The article emphasizes the importance of circuit breakers and the Seminole checklist also does the same. The article talks about the importance of not reseting unessential breakers. The checklist gives you a list of what to do with all the circuit breakers and resetting the ones that are only absolutely critical. The article also talks about the sources of the fire and the importance of shutting down the electrical system entirely. The Seminole checklist also instructs the pilot to shut down the entire system.
I will make sure I'm prepared for an electrical fire should one occur. Most of it is memorizing the procedure so I don't have to fumble through a checklist or POH when time is critical. I will make sure I declare an emergency, shut down the source of the problem, and land at the nearest airport. I will even land off airport if I have to. I value my life, and I don't plan on losing it to an electrical fire.
Good Post!
ReplyDelete